Almora Hill Station
Almora at an elevation of 1638 meters above the sea level is renowned as the cultural capital of Kumaon area. For history lovers and for the ones who need to know something about the historical backdrop of Almora, this spot is an absolute must visit destination. The town of Almora was ruled up by Chand Dynasty and boasts an immense collection of ancient rarities belonging to that time. With rich heritage, cultural legacy, scenic beauty, magnificient Himalayans view, sumptuous cuisine and precious art and crafts, the pictursque scene of Almora attracts tremendous number of traveler consistently as it is additionally one of the business center point of Kumaon area.
Activities: Hiking and Trekking
Best Places to Visit:
1. Kalimath: Kalimath is a popular hangout spot in the region explored for its scenic surroundings and serenity. Kalimath offers a commanding view of the Himalayan peaks from one side and the picturesque views of Almora town can be witnessed from the other side.
2. Bright End Corner: A scenic vantage point in the town, the Bright End Corner offers some of the most beautiful view at the time of sunrise and sunset. Bright End Corner in the midst of great Himalayas was named after Mr. Brighton. Besides, this site is also famous for Swami Vivekanand Library and for its several meditation centers.
3. Katarmal Sun Temple: Built in ninth century, the Katarmal Sun Temple at a height of 2116 meters above the sea level is viewed as the second most popular Sun temple in the nation after Konark. It is a sample of perplexing designing and is an essential spot of historical significance.
4. Martola: Surrounded by dense forests and beautiful gardens, Martola is a place known for its picturesque landscape, calm atmosphere and unending beauty. This place is also a popular hangout and picnicking destination among tourist, vacationers and travelers.
5. Simtola: Simtola is a grand spot wrapped with pine and fur trees and was once a precious stone mining center and a granite hill. It is a perfect destination for outing and camping.
Some other major tourist attractions in Almora are: Kasar Devi Temple, Katarmal Sun Temple, Dwarahat Village, Kumaon Regimental Centre Museum, Gobind Vallabh Pant Museum etc.
Best Time to Visit: Whole Year is best time but between April and June then September – November is best time to visit. The Nandu Devi festival held here in the month of August every year.