Darjeeling Hill Station
Darjeeling is a beautiful hill resort offers amazing view of snow-capped mountain peaks and is surrounded by lavish tea plantations, rolling hills, pines, orchids & rhododendrons trees. Towered by magnificent Kanchenjunga, the hill town of Darjeeling has its own colonial charm. Since Raj periods, Darjeeling is unquestionably one of the major destination in West Bengal. Popularly known as ‘Queen of Hills’, it is an all time favorite excursion destination among writers, photographers, tourist, vacationers and honeymooners.
Activities: Trekking, Camping, Hot Air Ballooning, Para Gliding, Rock Climbing, Moutnain Biking, jeep Safari, Wildlife Sighting, Rafting etc.
Best Places to Visit:
1. Darjeeling Himalayan Railway: Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) is the major tourist attraction and is popularly known as Toy Train. It was honored as a World Heritage Site in 1999 by UNESCO and is the second one to get such a crown after Semmering Railway, Austria.
2. Tiger Hill: Tiger Hill is a world popular site known for the stunning view of sunrise on Kanchenjunga and for the astonishing snow-capped mountain peaks of the eastern Himalayan range. Besides this, it also offers enchanting view of Mount Everest and Mt. Kanchenjunga together. Lies at the top point in the Darjeeling, the Tiger Hill is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
3. Senchal Lake: Situated close to Tiger Hill, the Senchal Lake is an another major tourist attraction at a height of 8515 feet above the sea level. The place attracts numerous tourist toward its alluring surroundings.
4. Singalila National Park: At an elevation of 2134 meters above the sea level, the Singalila National Park is a forest reserve area known for its rare and endangered species of flora and fauna. The Park is a paradise for wildlife viewers,photographers and adventure enthusiasts. The astounding mountain peaks and the magnificent view of lesser Himalayas provides a feast to eyes.
5. Ghoom Monastery: Ghoom Monastery or Ghum Monastery is one of the oldest Tibetan monasteries found in the region and was founded in 1875 by Lama Sherab Gyatso who was a famous astrologer. Also popularized as Yiga Choeling Gompa, the major attraction of Ghoom Monastery is a 15-foot tall Lord Buddha idol renowned as the Gyalwa Shampa or the Maitreya Buddha.
Some other major tourist destination here in Darjeeling includes: Mahakal temple, Observatory Hill, Happy Valley Tea Garden and Himalayan Mountaineering Institute.
Best Season to Visit: February to June and September to December