Kalimpong Hill Station, Places to Visit in Kalimpong
Kalimpong at a height of 4100 feet is a picturesque hill station located in the midst of lavish greenery at the foothills of magnificent Himalayas. This beautiful hill station offers stunning view of snow covered mountain peaks of Kanchenjunga and Himalayas. Additionally, Kalimpong is renowned for its Buddhist monasteries, ancient temples, colonial churches and an amazing nursery industry at a same place. Possessing its old world charm by its colonial style of architecture and cultural heritage, the town is an ideal destination to spend holidays at a quite and relaxed manner with Kanchenjunga as backdrop.
Activities: Biking, Trekking etc.
Best Places to Visit:
1. Durpin Dara and Deolo Hill: Durpin Dara along with Deolo is the highest view point in Kalimpong which offers enchanting view of snow covered Himalayas peaks, mighty Teesta river and Jelepla Pass overlooking ther town of Kalimpong. The bird eye view of entire region up from here are just beyond someone expectations.
2. Neora National Park: Neora Valley National Park is a pristine and untouched forest region situated in the Darjeeling’s Kalimpong subdivision. Set up in 1986 over an area of 88 square kilometers, it is home to different uncommon and endangered species of flora, fauna and avi-fauna. Being an UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is major point of attraction among tourist, nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts.
3. Dr Graham’s Home: Constructed in 1900 by Dr. JA Graham who was a Scottish missionary, the Graham’s Home is an orphanage and a school where more than 1300 children of tea-estate workers have been educated till now. The European style of architecture and amazing beauty of this place attracts numerous visitors from distant places. Dr. Graham is known as the Father of Kalimpong as he has done various things for the development of this hill town. Later, the school whose original name is St. Andrew Colonial Homes was renamed as Dr. Graham’s Home.
4. Flower Nurseries: Kalimpong is renowned all around the world for its beautiful exotic orchids. It is the major center which produce 80% of India’s Gladioli flowers. The other specialty of these flower nurseries are cacti, roses, dahlias, amaryllis, anthuriums and gerberas.
5. St. Theresa Church: Constructed by a local craft-person to place a Gompa, the St. Theresa Church reflects the Buddhist clergy in its beautiful wall carving. The church has its own charms and glory which attracts numerous people again and again.
Some other major tourists destination here in the city includes: Mangal Dham, Kalibari, Golf Course, Tashi Takgye(Colour House), Reshi Retreat & Farmhouse etc.
Best Time to Visit: February to May