Munsiyari Hill Station
Munsiyari as the name implies a ‘place with snow’ at an elevation of 2250 meters above the sea level is a beautiful hill town situated in the midst of snow covered Kumaon Himalayas on the bank of River Goriganga. It is likewise the beginning stage of numerous treks namely Namik Trek, Milam Trek and the Ralam Glacier Trek. At present, Munsiyari is a quickly developing visitor destination which is a heaven for adventure enthusiasts.
Activities: Trekking, White water rafting, Skiing, Bird-watching and wildlife viewing.
Best Places to Visit:
1. The Birthi Falls: Enveloped with thick forests and great Himalayas, the Birthi Falls is a dazzling waterfall falling from a height of somewhere around 120 feet. It is a perfect spot for picnicking and hangout.
2. Thamari Kund: Surrounded by paper trees, Thamari Kund is a natural lake known for its significant populace of musk deers which comes here to lower down their thirst. Apart from this, Thamari Kund is spot to unwind and enjoy the nature.
3. Khaliya Top: Surrounded by Alpine glades, the Khaliya top is a picturesque simple trek and is a heaven for trekkers. The trek offers captivating perspective of snow capped Himalayas ranges and is a superb endowment of nature in the lap of kumaon himalayas.
4. Nanda Devi: The beautifully designed and decorated temple of Nanda Devi is amongst the oldest temples situated in the town. It is an ancient sacred temple where devotees from far distant places come to offer their prayers.
5. Darkot: Darkot is a little yet beautiful hamlet located within the range of Munsiyari town. The rich society and innovativeness of Darkot people can be found in its 100 year old wooden houses which are planned so perfectly that one can definitely fall in love with it. The doors and windows of these houses demonstrate the imaginative personality of individuals of this locale.
Some other great attractions are: Kalimuni Top, Balati Potato Farm, Betulidhar, Master Ji Museum / Tribal Heritage Museum, Milam Glacier, Namik Glacier, Ralam Glacier, Maheshwari Kund etc.
Best Time To Visit: March to June and mid-September to October