Ooty Hill Station
Ooty, also called as Udhagamandalam, at an altitude of around 7500 feet above the sea level is a picturesque hill town in the Nilgiris locale of Tamil Nadu. Prevalently known as the ‘Queen of Hill Station’, Ooty is undoubtedly one of the best hill stations of South India bestowed with astonishing waterfalls, gleaming Lakes, magnificent blue mountains, beautiful coffee and tea manors, lavish green valleys and desne forests alongside rusting streams. The astounding natural magnificence of this area is extraordinary and any tourist who visits it get totally enchanted by its excellence that he treasures the craving to visit it again and again.
Activities: Mountain Biking, Angling, Trekking, Hang Gliding, Boating and many more.
Best Places to Visit:
1. Doddabetta Peak: Doddabetta Peak is the most elevated vantage point in Ooty at a height of 2623 m. Situated at the intersection point of Eastern and Western Ghats, Doddabetta Peak is viewed as one of the most elevated peaks in South India.
2. Nilgiri Mountain Railway: Nilgiri Mountain Railway is an UNESCO World Heritage Site which was designed with marvelous engineering technologies. At the foot of Nilgiris, the Nilgiris toy train connects Ooty to Mettupalayam and has an attractive blue and cream color with wooden coaches and large windows. It is a major attraction of the town and attracts locals and vacationers in a huge number.
3. Ooty Lake: Built in 1824, Ooty Lake is one of the renowned vacation destinations which offers pleasant view of surroundings. Ooty Lake covers a zone of around 65 acres of land is wrapped with tremendous Eucalyptus trees. This lake is fed by streams that wind through the slopes.
4. Avalanche Lake: Situated in the heart of Nilgiris, the Avalanche Lake gets its name from an avalanche that happened in the mid 1800’s and act as a heaven for photographers, nature wanderers and vacationers. The lovely scene here captivated every of its guest.
5. Rose Garden: Rose Garden of Ooty is a popular tourist spot in the region known for its picturesque scenery throughout the year. The Garden boasts more than 2241 variety of roses with nearly 20,000 plants. It is managed and maintained by Tamil Nadu Horticulture Department. In 2006, the World Federation of Rose Societies honoured this garden with the Award of Excellence for the best rose garden.
Some other tourist destination here includes: Botanical Garden, St. Stephen’s Church, Pykara River, Mudumalai National Park, Toda Huts etc.
Best Season to Visit: Throughout the year except monsoon season that starts from the month of July and August.