Dehradun is one of the oldest cities in India located in the midst of mountain ranges of the Himalayas. With grand hills, lush valleys, meandering rivers, caves and a calm atmosphere, the city of Dehradun is known for its beautiful environment. Dehradun has an interesting history related to Mahabharat, it is trusted that Lord Rama and his sibling did penance here for slaughtering Ravana, the evil spirit ruler. It is a well known passage to Garhwal locales which offers lovely view and pleasant scene.
Activities: Trekking, Golfing, Cycling, Wildlife Sighting, Hot Air Ballooning, Boating etc.
Best Places to Visit:
1. Tapkeshwar Temple: Tapkeshwar Mahadev Temple is among the best rated religious and tourist spot found in the region. The temple is devoted to Lord Shiva, the Shrine is famous for continuously falling drops of water on the shivling placed there. Every month, huge nu,ber of devotees and pilgrims comes here to offer their prayers.
2. Malsi Deer Park: Malsi Deer Park is an another popular place located at the foot hills of the Shivalik range. Surrounded by lush greenery and tranquil environment, it is mini zoological park and a perfect adventure cum hangout spot. The park of home to young deer and heardof deer in their natural habitat.
3. Robber’s Cave: Robber’s Cave is a river cave (which means a natural cave where river flows inside the cave) situated within the city and is a popular spot among nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts and vacationers. With a total length of 600 meters, this cave is managed and maintained by Uttarakhand Government.
4. Forest Research Institute: Constructed in 1906, the Forest Research Institute widely known as FRI Dehradun boasts a wide variety of forestry related items in its six museums. Besides, the architecture of this Institute attracts visitors towards it all round the year.
5. The Mindrolling Monastery: The Mindrolling Monastery is home to Ngagyur Nyingma College established in 1965. It is one of the biggest Buddhist learning centers in India. People from everywhere throughout the country come here to unwind at its serene surroundings.
Other tourist attractions in the Dehradun city are: Rajaji National Park, Tapovan, Sahastradhara, Lachhiwala, Fun Valley and many more.
Best Time To Visit: Throughout the year