Uttarkashi (which means Kashi of North), also popular as Devbhumi, is situated at a height of 1165 meters above the sea level on the bank of river Bhagirathi. Both Varanasi (the Kashi of plains) and Uttarkashi (the Kashi of North) are situated on the bank of Ganga river. The town is famous for the astonishing natural excellence and is home to vast variety of fauna and flora. Enveloped by thick dense forest of pine, fur, deodar and plants of medicinal importance, the historical and religious importance of the town attracts pilgrims again and again from everywhere throughout the nation.
Activities: Hiking and Trekking
Best Places to Visit Uttarkashi:
1. Govind National Park: Govind National Park is an ideal excursion apart from the daily routine life. The park is home to some of the rare species of birds, wildlife and offers astonishing view of snow-capped mountain peaks and glaciers. For those who are in search of peace, it a must visit place.
2. Dodital: Located at an altitude of 3307 meters, Dodi Tal is a freshwater lake surrounded by thick forests in the midst of grand mountains. The lake with its serene and picturesque surroundings is undoubtedly is the most charming place to go and explore. Here one can find the Himalayan trouts in majority.
3. Maneri: Maneri is a picturesque spot situated close to Uttarkashi and known for its natural excellence. The major attraction of the town is the dam which was constructed on the River Bhagirathi. It is a famous picnicking and hangout spot among tourists and locals.
4. Dayara Bugyal: In native language the word Bugyal stands for high altitude meadows. Dayara Bugyal at an altitude of 3048 meters offers the best of Himalayas view. Decorated with a small serene lake, magnificent Himalayas and natural excellence, Dayara Bugyal is a must visit place while at Uttarkashi.
5. Kedar Tal: A glacier lake located at a height of 4,750 meter, Kedar Tal is a paradise for trekkers. One can reach here by a steep ascent of few hours by the guidance of local guide and with lots of enthusiasm. The ambiance and magnificence of this place makes everyone feel like they are in heaven.
Some other major tourist attractions in the city are: Vishwanath Temple, Shakti Temple, Gangotri, Yamunotri, Har Ki Doon, Harsil etc.
Best Time To Visit: March to July and September to November