Valparai is a grand hill station situated at an altitude of 3500 feet above the sea level on the Anamalai Mountain Range. Surrounded by excellent mountains, lavish knolls, picturesque fields, alluring valleys, delightful meadows and sparkling waterfalls, the hill town of Valparai is a one of the spots that you shouldn’t miss in your life. In short, Velaparai is the most prestigious, amazing, rousing hill resort of Tamilnadu.
Activities: Trekking and Bird Watching
Best Places To Visit:
1. Aanamalai wildlife sanctuary: The Anamalai Wildlife Sanctuary at a height of 1400 meters is one of the major tourists and adventurous spot located in the region. The sanctuary boasts a wide range of flora and fauna. Covering a total area of 958 sq kms, the sanctuary is widely famous for its unique range of Pangolins, Elephants, Tigers, Deers, Gaurs, Panthers, Sloth Bears and Green Pigeons.
2. Nirar Dam: Nirar Dam at Verapalai is a major source of hidroelectricity production in the town and also is the source of the agricultural related activiities. Near the Dam there is a beautiful waterfalls which has Silver Cascade waterfalls in Kodaikanal.
3. View Points: There are a number of view points located in the town and out of which Loam’s view point located on the 9th hairpin bend is famous one. From here, the view of Aliyar dam and its reservoir is just mind blowing.
4. Grass Hills: Located within the protected area of the Anamalai Tiger Reserve, the Grass Hills is surrounded by grass and mountains and is a scenic and picturesque spot to visit. The entry into this area is allowed only after taking the permission from the forest department.
5. Balaji Temple: The Balaji Temple is a holy place situated in the midst of picturesque tea gardens. The pleasant climate and beautiful surroundings makes this place an ideal destination to be visited again and again.
Some of the major tourist attractions here includes: Karamalai Annai Velankanni Church, Sholayar Dam, Chinnakallar Fall, and Monkey Falls etc.
Best Season to Visit: Throughout the year