[caption id="attachment_1654" align="aligncenter" width="738"] Rajasthan International Folk Festival[/caption]
Every year October brings so many awesome festivals! This year, we are all thrilled cause’ October will bring a whole lot of reasons to be together and to rejoice! One such festival that binds culture, music, dance, cuisine and folks is the annually held Rajasthan International Folk Festival.
Rajasthan International Folk Festival, also known as RIFF is a 5-days folk festival which was initiated in 2007 as a festival of recognizing the traditional Rajasthani rural music and musicians.
When is Rajasthan International Folk Festival happening in 2019?
Like every autumn blossom, Jodhpur RIFF has already been scheduled from 10th October till 14th October 2019.
Where does it happen ?
It is organized in the beautiful Mehrangarh Fort, one of the largest forts of India and voted as “Asia’s Best Fortress” by Time Magazine. It is one of the most visited tourist attractions of Jodhpur, which itself is a beautiful Indian city in the state of Rajasthan. Known for its rich cultural heritage, breath-taking historical monuments, and Rajasthani cuisine, Jodhpur has a lot to offer to the wanderer in you.
How to reach the majestic Mehrangarh Fort?
- Jodhpur Railway Station: If your starting point is Jodhpur railway station, you can start from Station Road and move on to High Court Road, following NH62. It will take you around 20 min to reach your destination.
- Jodhpur Bus Stand: Starting off your journey from Jodhpur bus stand? You need to get on High Court road, going straight through Paota Circle and drive on to take NH62. From bus stand, it will hardly take you 10 min to reach the fort.
How to get entry to Jodhpur RIFF?
We have got you covered here. Whether you want to stay at the festival venue or nearby in Jodhpur, you can choose from the below options. Compare price, facility and ease of travel and choose the one that best fits your requirements.
Let’s take a glance at the colorful and musical journey RIFF will take us on this year:
Day 1, October 10th:
- Children’s Folk Morning (9.30 am to 2.00 pm, Veer Durga Das Memorial Park, Masuriya Pahadi): From dawn till dusk, Jodhpur RIFF showcases talents that spellbound the audience. Even the start of the event is dedicated to the tiny-tots, school children performing and marking the beginning of this mega folk festival. Get carried away by performances like Ghoomar, Kachchi Ghodi, Young Langa musicians, Rajasthani Circus & TeraahThali.
- Opening Night – City Concert (7.30 pm to 9.30 pm, Jaswant Thada parking lot (outside Mehrangarh Fort), Entry free and open to all): Listen to live vocals by legendary singers like Sumitra Devi, ‘Nani’ Naom Vazana, Muzsikas, Votia and Rajasthani Brass, giving you a balanced dose of Rajasthani folk and international music blend.
Day 2, October 11th:
- A series of multi-forms of dance shows depicting ancient stories.
- A ritual that allows the devotee to absorb energy, performed by the followers of Jasnath ji ke Bhope,.
- Along with the beat of Manjira and Dholak, you will relish the perfect blend of Indian & Irish music by Citadels of the Sun.
Day 3, October 12th: RIFF 2019 does bring the best of music to you! Beginning its 3rd day with the Nirguni songs of Rajasthan, it won’t let the audience stop from tapping their feet at the rhythms. Dance Boot Camp by Hungarian & Indian folk dancers.
Day 4, October 13th: With the 5-days long festival, this year Jodhpur RIFF is not just limited to Folk & Sufi music, they have brought “The Sounds of Music” at one place for you. The international artists performing on the 4th day are:
- Valeri Tolstov- A multi-instrumentalist and composer who has mastered both flute and organ. Wait….there’s more he can….he also plays keyboard & guitar.
- Andrew Cronshaw – An English musician, zither-player and multi-instrumentalist, heavily influenced by traditional Finnish, Scots Gaelic and North Iberian music.
- Mahesh Vinayakram – He’ll give you the taste of Indian music which originates down from south. Presenting to you the Carnatic-vocalist.
Day 5, October 14th: Now the final day has to be bigger, and so will it be by the performance of Bir Singh.
This festival has started the legacy of keeping you mesmerized in its musical aura from dawn till dusk. Series of concerts, plays and historical exhibitions won’t let you take your eyes off during the whole festival. It serves the true meaning of the festival, bringing together people of all age groups at one place to solely live in the moment without any discrimination.
To take you on the journey of what you might miss if you are not planning to attend Jodhpur RIFF this October, stay tuned with us. We’ll soon be covering the whole schedule so that you can plan your visit to Jodhpur this October with your friends and family.
Reference - Festevemantra.com